Sunday 5 December 2010

Moving on up - Whatever the weather !

Research methods:

It can safely be said that last week’s research methods lecture created more questions in my mind than it answered!
In order to do my PGCE a few years ago, I took my GCSE maths when I was 29 and got a fantastic (not bragging, you’ll read why in a minute) grade. As a result, I’ve been suffering from a bit of over confidence where maths in concerned ever since! In fact I’d be thinking that having slayed the evil maths monster of my childhood, I could cope with pretty much anything in that department...
How wrong I was - I certainly had my comeuppance!
In fact, I felt so at a loss I was even too afraid to tell our nice lecturer  ‘S’  lest I display my total, absolute and entire ignorance of statistics! ‘That’s fine’ I thought. No problem I can just put it all into Excel and let the software take the strain... That was until I realised that it had all changed with the advent of Windows 7 and that all those nice ‘right click’ short cuts had gone.
Only my friend ‘K’ knows the horrible truth...
I was left wondering:
‘What is a binominal distribution?’
 ‘How on earth do you perform a t-test?’
‘Is the central limit theorem important?’ and ‘Do I need to worry about p-values yet?’
Now, after a bit of worrying and some surfing on the internet, I think I’ve found the answer... Here is a photo of me reading ‘Statistics Essentials for Dummies.’
I’ll let you know how I get on!
Moving on out :
I know I’d mentioned in my previous blogs that we were waiting to move house, it seemed to take forever, but finally at the end of last week it happened. They say that moving house is one of the most stressful experiences and I would definitely agree.
For three days preceding the move it had been snowing, and by Friday there was over a foot of snow outside the house. We kept thinking that it would be postponed as it seemed sheer stupidity to even drive a car down our street, let alone a removal lorry. Never the less, at 12am on Thursday night some very earnest removal men (who had arrived seven hours early in preparation for the morning) knocked on my door just to let me know that it was all go for the next morning.


A restless night, then an early start and the full force and chaos of the move was upon us! There were a few events that really summed up the day including:
- My fantastic friend ‘N’ and her little girl ‘A’ who invited my daughter to play all day to remove her
  from the pandemonium.
- The friendly, endlessly patient, uncomplaining, hard working, careful and reasonably priced  
   removal men.
- The whole street of neighbours who came out with their shovels to clear the road of snow and help
   the stranded removal lorry... Thanks guys!
Well...  On to pastures new,  our new place isn’t ready yet so we’ve put all our stuff in storage and have rented somewhere until after Christmas (really makes one wonder how much of the house clutter we need, as at the moment we are just fine with a suitcase each, plus the kitten’s things).
 It is lovely and very remote in deepest Kent.  There were a few thrills and spills trying to get there through the snow on Friday evening (including walking the final quarter of a mile with our bags and a poor frozen Twilight kitten in a basket), but the sheer joy of arriving at a cosy, warm cottage after that is indescribable !
J’s record of the week :
‘My heart cries’
by Harvey Fuqua
and Etta James.
I first discovered this song as a bonus album track
when I downloaded the re-released 1961 Etta
James album ‘At Last.’
Harvey Fuqua (who passed away earlier this year)
was a founder member of ‘The Moonglows’ and
mentor to Marvin Gaye amongst other Motown
legends. This beautiful song consists of soaring
harmonies between Etta and Harvey and reminds
me of starlit nights on snowy fields - very fitting
for the weather this week!  Jerushah x



No comments:

Post a Comment