Friday 26 November 2010

We love all kinds of cricket !


Spikey:
Last night I was making dinner and I heard a shout from my daughter at the other end of the kitchen. The conversation went something like this ;











 


‘Spikey’ as we’ve named him/her was clinging to the outside of our kitchen window ( I must say, my choice of Stephen Finn or Stuart Broad for names didn’t go down too well, so Spikey it is !). It was absolutely freezing outside, so we took pity and my daughter scooped Spikey up in a plastic bowl
to bring inside. 
Entomology is not my strong point, but luckily I was able to email a friend who knows about these things. After looking at Spikey’s photo, he confirmed that Spikey is a cricket. So now Spikey has officially moved in with us and is living in a giant coffee jar, with a selection of weeds, grass and moss. My daughter suggested that as the jar smells like the Eden Project, we should refer to it as ‘The Biome.’


 





Study Buddies:
Well, what a week ! My mini literature review was submitted at the beginning of this week after much agonising and even a few tears. Towards the end of last week it seemed as if everything had conspired to prevent me from completing it, including...
- Reading loads of papers while simultaneously thinking ‘I don’t understand this!
- Checking my email too often as displacement activity.
- Making unhelpful notes to about papers like ‘First section unintelligible mathematical 
   nonsense.’

- Developing insomnia.
- Car broke down, which meant I had to get the train back from work.
- The train (see previous bullet point) was cancelled so it took me ages to get home on Monday  
  night.

...and what made the difference? What really turned it all around? The support of my friends and family!  I don’t think I would have made it through this week without the help of my daughter’s dad ‘K,’ who did a fantastic job entertaining her over the weekend while I studied. Also my friend another ‘K’ who really saved me at 11.15pm Monday night by emailing me a paper with a vital diagram that I could not find for love or money anywhere! Plus I can’t forget the wonderful support of our research methods course coordinator ‘P.’ Thanks guys!

J’s record of the week :  
‘Dreadlock Holiday’
by 10cc

Can you guess why I’ve chosen this song? Someone (I can’t remember who) once said that the two most important things in life are reggae and cricket. Actually there are three reasons I’ve chosen this song. Firstly, because of Spikey (see above).  Secondly, a friend and a relative of mine have started to organise my MCC membership. Honestly, this is something so crucial that I can’t put it in to words adequately... think Christmas (x1000), lottery win etc. The third reason for choosing this song is that ‘The Ashes’ start today (Google them if you are not sure what they are), and this time I think we are in a great position to give those Aussies the right good thrashing they deserve! Remember, and I quote: ‘I don’t like cricket, I love it ! Yeah!’ Jerushah X


No comments:

Post a Comment