Friday 12 November 2010

Is time just a concept?

 

One of those weeks :
This week definitely has to qualify as ‘one of those weeks!’ I realised that I had double booked myself for two things that I really wanted to go to, I lost my car stereo face plate and I took being early to a whole new level...
Firstly, I decided to leave my car stereo face plate I don’t know where, so I had to spend the whole week travelling to work in silence. Secondly, on Tuesday night I took being early to a whole new level when I arrived one month early for my staff training session with the enquiry unit! I’d even changed my daughter’s school parents evening slot to attend, so felt rather silly when I realised my mistake, and had to endure much hassling in the office as a result!
In my life, months go by and nothing happens, then by some strange happenstance two things happen on the same night! It seems like a long time ago that my friend asked me to come along and support the ‘Help for Heroes’ charity event that she was organising in Rochester. I happily agreed and thought no more of it until the date of our CRS firework party was set. As I am feeling a pang of conscience, I think the charity event will have to win out though. Two of my great-grand fathers served in WW1 (one in the trenches and the other in the Royal Air Corps), plus two grandfathers and a step grandfather fought in WW2 (in the Canadian Artillery, Home Guard and Navy respectively). In addition, we cannot forget the contribution made by women in my family, my great-grand mother worked manufacturing munitions at the Woolwich Arsenal, while my grandmother was a nurse treating the injured in hospitals around London.
 On the whole, I am a pacifist and always hope that conflicts can be resolved peacefully, but, at the same time I feel humbled by those who were willing to make such huge personal sacrifices to protect others. 
One thing I always ask myself at this time of year is... If I had been there at the start of WW1 or WW2 would I (or any of my generation) have been able to cope with the choices they faced?




J’s record of the week:

You're still a young man.'
by Tower of Power


After a few days of silence in the car, I managed to find my car stereo face plate in one of my daughter’s toy boxes... Not sure how it got there ?! To be honest I was torn between the first few songs that came up on my iPod, because it was just so joyous to have my music back again! So really it was a hard choice between ‘I’ll take you there’ by the Staple Singers; ‘The revival’ by Martine Gerrault; ‘Reasons’ by Earth, Wind and Fire; ‘War’ by Bob Marley and ‘You’re still a young man’ by Tower of Power, though eventually I settled on the latter for no particular reason.
Actually, I just love Tower of Power  - They are one of the most underrated soul bands out there, and their sheer wealth of quality material is staggering. ‘You’re still a young man’ was the first Tower of Power song I ever heard, back in the year 2000, only about 28 years after it was first released in 1972... Enjoy ! Jerushah X

No comments:

Post a Comment