Thursday 16 December 2010

Sweets for my sweet !


Sweet love :
With most of our stuff packed away, we’ve had to get a little bit imaginative with our homemade Christmas presents this year( we don’t go in for Christmas shopping in a big way, it’s far too stressful!).  It’s all good though as we’ve decided to make large amounts of different kinds of... CHOCOLATE !
So far we have made chocolate & butterscotch hearts and white & dark chocolate almond petit fours. Later on in the week we plan to make chocolate & marzipan stars and chocolate & ginger brazils.  Hopefully our friends will love them as much as we do...
...and yes, we did try one of each... Purely for quality control purposes only!

Cake Monday :
Since moving to our new ‘ovenless’ temporary place, everyone has been suffering from the effects...
At the beginning of the week my daughter was quite pleased that I’d bought a box of six pre-wrapped chocolate muffins for her lunch box, however by Wednesday she said ‘Oh no, not those again I’m fed up with them ! Can’t I have your nice cake instead mum?’
Also, I used to take cakes into work every Monday morning and there were some sad faces in the office this week when I arrived ‘cakeless.’  As for the friend I sit next to each Monday (I love Mondays  - me and her always have such a laugh while devouring my cakes), her cake withdrawal symptoms had progressed so far that she was looking at ‘Baby Belling’ ovens on ebay by the end of the day– I live in hope !
Presentation blues :
I’ve tried to be cheerful  (the chocolate helped)for the first part of my blog, but I’m afraid to say I suffered a complete disaster in my academic life this week... I was very proud of my research methods presentation. It was on the topic of my own research, chock full of information about my project - I’d even done a special lab photo shoot with my research supervisor and a colleague for the methodology section. I had experienced a few problems with my formatting earlier in the day, but thought it had all been sorted. Everything was ready and twenty minutes before the presentation session I decided to sneak up to the room and have a quick run through... Alas though it looked just as bad as it had earlier in the day, with huge fonts and pictures in the wrong places – and as for the layout of my reference list ... don’t even go there! In the twenty minutes between 1.40 and 2.00 I continued to try and fix it, and so did my lovely friend ‘K’ but to no avail ! It was with horror that I realised it was 2pm and nothing more could be done. Despite the reassurances of my understanding research supervisor ‘A’ (you can see him in my photo’s) and very kind course coordinator ‘P,’ I was already shaking by the time I stood up to give my presentation. I managed to fumble through it while simultaneously apologising for the appearance of the slides. By the time the questions came at the end of the presentation, I could barely think or talk and was in no condition to give sensible answers. I’m sure I should have learnt some sort of lesson from this, but at the moment I’m still trying to work out what it is...  All I can say is that my friends are amazing and were a great comfort to a very troubled Jerushah late yesterday afternoon.

 


J’s record of the week :

‘You’ve made so very happy’
by Brenda Holloway

This song was recorded in 1967 and reached number 39 in the US Billboard charts. It was not released in the UK until later on.  I only discovered it earlier this year when I bought the ‘Big hits and hard to find classics’ album. Listening to this song is like having an immense, comforting hug and I certainly needed a hug this week!  Jerushah X


No comments:

Post a Comment