Thursday 10 February 2011

A challenging week :

 

It was an amazing week, this week – The week I (yes me !) was picked for the University of Greenwich, University Challenge team ! It has been an endless source of amusement not only for myself but also my friends and family... I’ve never really considered myself to be the ‘sharpest tool in the box’ so this has all come as a bit of a surprise – especially when I tell you why I entered it in the first place.

Many moons ago (1983 to be exact), one of our course coordinators appeared on (and won!) University Challenge. I won’t tell you who, as he is a modest sort of chap, but suffice to say he is never allowed to forget this particular achievement due to a group of appreciative students who set up a facebook group in his honour.

When the University Challenge online quiz invitation came a few weeks ago, friend ‘K’ and I speculated about how good it would be in twenty years time if our students were still talking about our outing on University Challenge. There and then we made a pact that we would both go home that night and do the online quiz. Dutifully I completed mine, only to find that friend ‘K’ had abandoned her attempt... However, I received the biggest shock of all when after a second assessment the Students Union invited me to join the team !

Well, Monday rolled around and the four of us (Poor ‘K O’ our current reserve member wasn’t well), assembled outside the ITV studios. We had a agonising wait to be called to meet the producers, only to find that we were to be interviewed together with the Cranfield University team (who were all gorgeous, thin, clever, witty good looking twenty-something postgrads). When asked for our unique selling point we said ‘diversity’ having a good range of subjects between us and a combined age of well over one hundred ! ‘H’ also suggested that the fact that our Greenwich Maritime campus was the only 17th Century building ever to contain an atomic weapon might have some bearing on our selection, but the rest of us were not sure about that ! The interview was followed by a forty question test which was not for the faint hearted.

Yesterday ‘K O’ who could not be present at the studios, had her Skype interview with Irene Daniels, and apparently they will let us know if we have been chosen for the next round by Friday 11th February... Wish us luck !

J’s record of the week :

'Valentine love’
 
by
 
Norman Connors              
             
It used to be that I couldn’t listen to this song without a tear in my eye; it’s so heartrending (all be it in a cheesy 1970’s kind of way).  It was released in 1975 and has guest vocals from the beautiful and talented Jean Carne (look out for a record of the week from her any time soon) !
I wonder why I’ve chosen this song? Has it escaped the notice of the blog readers that it is nearly Valentine’s Day?  All the shops have Valentine’s cards on the stands and the flower racks in the supermarkets are full of red roses. I’ve never seen the film ‘Valentine’s Day’ but I like the idea of an ‘Anti Valentine’s party’ it’s got so commercial these days!  Happy Valentine’s day everyone!  Jerushah X





 

No comments:

Post a Comment