Wednesday 22 February 2012

Our house



Our house:

Last Friday Mini ‘S,’ Twilight Kitty and myself celebrated the first anniversary of moving to Medway and into our lovely little house. Luckily I had found two £10 notes blowing around outside my front door the previous day, so I decided to redistribute my new found wealth by buying the ingredients for a large pot of ratatouille.
There were ten of us for dinner (including Twilight), attending were all of the friends who had helped us when we moved in.

It was funny reminiscing about all the things that had happened around that time...
Like camping out at the hotel beside the Medway campus; hiding two car loads of our possessions in a cupboard at the School of Science; sleeping on inflatables (followed by a quick trip to Ikea to buy beds); scrubbing and cleaning away all the dust and cobwebs on the morning we moved in and last but by no means least... Twilight kitty sliding down the banister with her claws!



Westgate Bay:

Last Sunday myself and Mini ‘S’ decided to have a day out at the Kentish seaside ‘Isn’t it the wrong time of year I hear you say?’ to which I would reply ‘May be!’
There is a lot to be said for going to the seaside at the ‘off peak’ time of year: plenty of parking spaces; lots of room to build sandcastles and no queue at the cafe. Actually, the cafe was lovely (just out of view to the right of the beach huts in the picture), serving giant mugs of hot chocolate and gorgeous cake in a ‘no frills’ sort of way. Personally, I’d rather have an enormous slab of cake and some heavenly (reasonably priced) hot chocolate sitting on a plastic chair at a rickety table than in Starbucks or Costa Coffee!
We took a drive through Margate on the way back, as Mini ‘S’ wanted to play on the pirate ship adventure playground on the seafront. I hadn’t been there in about 15 years, and it was lovely to see how the town is starting to come alive again after being neglected in the 1980’s and 90’s. We made a mental note to come back in the summer, perhaps for a Jerushah birthday outing – I’ve heard from a friend who lives in Broadstairs that the shell grotto is worth a look...

J’s record of the week:

Apologies in advance everyone, we have not just one record of the week this week, but three ! The reason for this being firstly a bet with a friend, that I wouldn’t include a Tom Lehrer song on my blog – let’s call her ‘K.’ Secondly we downloaded the entire ‘Shine’ album by Estelle on the weekend, and Mini ‘S’ took a shine (no pun intended) to the song ‘Wait a minute (just a touch).’On listening to said song, I realised that it heavily samples the 1979 track ‘Just a touch of love’ by Slave. So hopefully, by choosing three songs this week, I can keep everyone happy – including myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment