Monday 3 October 2011

Cricket Capers


On September 11th we attended our last match of the season at Lord’s. Strangely, it turned out to be a day of wrong assumptions !
Firstly we were prepared for rotten weather, with rain gear, warm layers, umbrellas and a flask of hot coffee – only to find that apart from a downpour at the end of the day, we had lovely warm, dry weather.  Secondly with the amazing performance of the England team thus far in the One Day International series, I was convinced we were guaranteed a day of domination by Stuart, Graeme, Ravi and the rest of the boys... How wrong I was ! 
England had done really well throughout the afternoon, with our Ravi scoring a respectable 96,  but with the odd drop of rain in the latter part of the day things started to go awry... Personally, I blame Duckworth & Lewis for their (frankly unfair) mathematical formulations, for the resultant DRAW (!) and consequent loss of the £1 that I had placed on England to win L!
For those not initiated there is a brief potted history of the Duckworth-Lewis method here :    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duckworth%E2%80%93Lewis_method
 
J’s record of the week
‘Dreadlock Holiday’

by

10cc



This has to be the archetypal cricket fan’s song, with those iconic words ‘I don’t like cricket, I love it yeah !’  ‘Dreadlock Holiday’ was released in 1978 as part of the ‘Bloody Tourists’ album. I was only four at the time, and although my parents would be more likely to listen to Bob Marley than 10cc, I have always loved this song ! ‘Dreadlock Holiday’ was the third (and last) UK number one for 10cc. I say... ‘I don’t like Dreadlock Holiday, I love it yeah !’ 
 Jerushah X

No comments:

Post a Comment