Monday 20 June 2011


A wedding in Cambridge :

On Saturday, my fabulously glamorous Aunt ‘H’ got married in Cambridge... It was a wonderful day, with not only the wedding, but catching up with all those far flung family members that you don’t usually see. People had come from as far afield as Northern Ireland, Stafford, Somerset and Cornwall. Some of us even drove up from deepest darkest Medway ! Highlights included the cute little flower girl ‘T,’ who did her very best; hanging out with my cousins ‘M’ and ‘C,’ who share my sense of humour (and good looks); my eighty-nine year old grandmother dancing with a ‘lovely young man’ (her words, not mine) of sixty-five; the sweet poem written my aunt’s new husband ‘S’ entitled ‘Our little house’ as part of his speech and meeting new cousin by marriage ‘S’ who tells me she is hoping to attend Greenwich in 2012 !

 

Food for free :

This week has also been an excellent week for... Cherries ! Fellow blogger Dan is always saying ‘Jerushah, we live in the garden of England.’ He is right too ! At the beginning of the week daughter ‘S’ and me were out picking wild cherries in the rain ! They are smaller and darker than commercial varieties, but have a lovely intense flavour - My freezer is now full of them and my hands are all juice stained after the de-stoning...I am really looking forward to the rest of the summer when there are all sorts of wild foods to be found in rapid succession : woodland strawberries, cherry plums, damsons, blackberries and cob nuts to name but a few Kentish examples ! At the university this week, I mentioned the whole ‘foraging thing’ to a friend who shall remain nameless. I offered to lend him my copy of ‘Food for free’ by Richard Mabey, to which he replied ‘...is that a book about shop lifting ?’ 

‘Fly me to the moon’ was written in 1954 by Bart Howard, and performed by Frank Sinatra. I am dedicating my record of the week to Aunt ‘H’ and ‘S’ who tied the knot this week, and are such big jazz fans that they had a Frank Sinatra impersonator to provide the musical backdrop to their wedding... I wish them every happiness  ! Jerushah X


No comments:

Post a Comment