Thursday 28 April 2011

Trashy Swans, Darwinism and a 100 trillion dollar note



A blast of a barbecue : 
I was feeling very virtuous after doing a large chunk of my literature review on Friday, so it was without guilt that I went to a barbecue at my friend J’s house on Saturday night . I was quite touched to discover that there were loads of nice couscous stuffed veggies ready just for me ! We spent most of the evening out in the garden, but when the biting insects got too much we moved inside and the conversation turned to J’s recent travels in Africa. He had pots of interesting tales (and tails !) to tell, but probably the best thing was the ‘One hundred trillion dollar’ note  that he brought back from Zimbabwe.
One swan’s trash is another one’s treasure:
On Easter Sunday after having an egg-cellent Easter egg hunt in our garden, (plus up and down the street) at seven in the morning we decided to chill out by the beautiful River Medway. Lately we’ve been keeping an eye on some swans  who have taken the ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’ message to heart and built the most amazing nest using recycled materials.  They have also gone for the ‘smallest dwelling in the poshest area’ approach to real estate as their address is at ‘The Esplanade’ Rochester !

A day at Charles’s place :
After a really cool ‘chill out’ by the river on Sunday, ‘S’ and me decided to have a day out at Down House on Easter Monday. Down house is the former home of Charles Darwin and along with beautiful gardens and the Darwin family’s living areas just as they had left them (we loved the ‘stair slide’), there was a fantastic visitor’s centre with a holographic display of Charles Darwin’s cabin on the Beagle. He appeared to be examining some microscope slides ! The most poignant item displayed was his very own mounting needle -a piece of equipment still used in slide preparation in our micropalaeontology lab at the university today... It was a shame that English Heritage had mis-labelled it as a dissection instrument !
There were also lots of delights in the garden too, including a ‘worm stone’ built to test the validity of Darwin’s theory on earth worms, and a hot house full of carnivorous plants.   

J’s record of the week :
‘Pressure drop’
By the Toots and
the Maytals.

The Toots and the Maytals songs  have been covered all sorts of artists from The Clash (who covered ‘pressure drop’) to The Specials. The Toots and the Maytals version of ‘Pressure Drop’ was released in 1968, although  I first heard this song at Easter four years ago. I was in Canada with my family and was bemoaning the fact that I had forgotten to bring my CD wallet on holiday. Luckily my cousin’s partner ‘A’ had a few sneaky reggae tracks up her sleeve and made a CD for me. So even though most people might be visualising palm trees and sand when they listen to this song, I always think of driving through the Rocky Mountains in the snow at Easter ! Jerushah X

No comments:

Post a Comment