Thursday 16 September 2010

My First Blog!

Hello, and a very warm welcome to my first blog post .
The Wall
It has seemed like a long wait, but I am really looking forward to the start of lectures next week for a multitude of reasons.  Of course there is the opportunity to gain new skills and learn in depth, but the main reason on my mind at the moment is a phenomenon I call ‘The Wall.’
All summer I have had this little voice in the back of my head whispering ‘Get on with your literature review !’
I have tried (yes, honestly). I photocopied, downloaded, begged, borrowed - not stole, I promise – as many papers as I could. I dutifully made notes , I cross referenced, I made lists (a favourite displacement activity of mine when I’m avoiding a task), but have I actually started writing it ? No ! I seems as if I’ve hit some sort of invisible wall (similar to those experienced by marathon runners etc. See the film ‘Run! Fat Boy Run!’ for an example). I have been trying to think of a reason for this and today I’ve finally cracked it.
I think it is that absence of structure that most of us experience over the summer. This, coupled with a lack of anyone to talk to and bounce ideas off has only increased the feelings of academic loneliness! Sometimes studying can be very isolating, so even a quick chat with friends or project supervisors can be really motivating. I have realised just how much I am looking forward to seeing my Uni friends (I include my research supervisor in this category) next week, and one day I’ll definitely get around to telling them what an inspiration they are !
Cricket
I bet (oops ! touchy subject  in cricket at the mo best avoided) that it has escaped most people’s attention, but it is the T40 county final at Lord’s on Saturday. Although I don’t like to admit it, it is with a little bit of regret that I will take my usual spot at the top of the Tavern Stand this week...
We tend to get excited about three teams in my house (in no particular order): Middlesex because I like Stephen Finn (no, it’s not a girlie crush, it’s all about bowling); Essex because my daughter wants to marry Ravi Bopara when she grows up and Kent because we live there.
I was hoping for at least one of our three favourite teams to be featured, but alas that is not the case. Warwickshire beat Yorkshire at Edgbaston the other week, followed by Essex (my last hope
L) receiving a whipping from Somerset to give us a Warwickshire v. Somerset final.
I’ll have to try and drum up some enthusiasm from somewhere – I’ll keep you posted ! Jerushah x

No comments:

Post a Comment